Denise is a news writer at Tom’s Guide covering all things tech, gaming software/hardware, streaming, and more.
Here’s what we know about the much-rumored Nintendo Switch Pro, and if it’s might still be coming.
For the past 12 months or so rumors were flying around about a Nintendo Switch Pro, getting ever more fevered yet also seemingly realistic as time went by. Then Nintendo decided to reveal the Nintendo Switch OLED, which we have gone hands-on with.
While that console isn’t out yet, arriving October 8, it’s reveal seemed to be Nintendo flipping the bird at leaker and rampant speculation, revealing a console that is an upgrade on the current Switch, just not the one many may have been hoping for. If you want a powerful handheld console then take a look at the Valve Steam Deck.
- Where to buy PS5: Latest stock updates
- The best Nintendo Switch games right now
- Nintendo Switch OLED hands-on: A gorgeous screen makes a big difference.
Nintendo has also come out and officially said that it has “no plans” for another Switch beyond the OLED model “at this time.” But then Nintendo is famously tight-lipped on what it’s doing with its hardware, and announcing no current plans is not the same as saying the device won’t ever happen.
And given the vagueness of “at this time,” we’re not quite ready to dismiss the idea of a Switch Pro; it may just arrive in the form of the Nintendo Switch 2. And with the Steam Deck having been revealed, there’s arguably an appetite for more powerful portable gaming machines.
So with that in mind, here’s what we know so far and would like to see from the Nintendo Switch Pro, even if it’s just wishful thinking.
Latest Nintendo Switch Pro news (updated October 15)
- Another Nintendo Switch Pro rumor has claimed that a more powerful console is coming only it’ll be the Nintendo Switch 2.
- The Switch OLED’s dock could support 4K output. Whether this means that the Switch OLED could eventually run 4K content, or an upcoming Switch could be backwards-compatible with current docks, or nothing at all, is anyone’s guess.
- Nintendo has officially stated it has “no plans for launching any other model” of Switch console. But it also said “at this time,” which arguably doesn’t 100% write off the Switch Pro for a release later on down the line.
Nintendo Switch Pro release date and price speculation
Nintendo has repeatedly shot down claims of a Switch Pro, but the rumours haven’t stopped surfacing. But it’s now looking like they are related to a second-generation Switch.
Developer kits that have reportedly been sent to game makers sowed the idea that an upgraded Switch was coming. However, new claimed insider information has noted that these dev kits are in fact designed for different hardware and are likely for the Nintendo Switch 2, which has a tentative rumored release window of late 2022 or early 2023.