Many businesses struggle to come up with new and innovative ways to increase website traffic. There’s a lot of misinformation online about how to attract more visitors, which can lead to using the same tired strategies over and over and not seeing positive results.
If you’re looking to increase website traffic with both organic and paid ways, here are 10 methods that are proven to yield results.
1. Perform Keyword Research
Always include relevant keywords in your content. Keywords should be used naturally, not stuffed into the content so much that they detract from the main idea or distract the reader. It’s important to use keywords throughout the content, like the meta description, the page title, the URL, headers and a few times throughout the piece.
To conduct keyword research, you can use tools like Moz, Ahrefs and SEMrush. These sites show what keywords competitors are using, how often people search for keywords, how expensive the keyword is for pay-per-click ads, related keywords and much more valuable information to guide keyword strategy. Hiring an SEO agency is always an option, as well, as they can offer valuable insights and perform audits to identify issues that may be keeping your site from being shown in search engines.
2. Create Memorable Content
It’s not enough just to post content; you need to create content that’s memorable and cuts through the noise. In fact, useful and memorable content is one of the top ways to increase website traffic.
People use Google to find specific, thorough and accurate answers for their questions, and your content should be there to provide those answers. In fact, websites featuring blog content generate 434% more search engine-indexed pages than those without it. In addition, sites that release more than 16 posts per month receive nearly 3.5 times more traffic than those that publish zero to four articles.
The bottom line is that when you care about the content you produce, post regularly and research what your audience wants to see, web traffic should improve.
3. Write Guest Posts
Guest posting for other websites is an effective way to generate backlinks, boost referral traffic, and increase search engine results page (SERP) rankings. You should always thoroughly research websites within your industry to pitch.
First, look at a website’s content and make sure it’s high quality, check its domain authority and study their guest posting guidelines. Also, ask the publication if they’ll promote the post on social media and if they’ll tag you.
4. Keep Active Social Media Pages
Social media is huge for attracting visitors. Here are some ways it should be used to increase website traffic:
- Post content (blogs, e-books, white papers, infographics, videos, etc.) across your social media platforms
- Interact with followers by replying to them, reposting their content and tagging them
- Use relevant hashtags
- Update the link in your bio to promote new content when it comes out
- Change a cover photo to promote new content
- Tag influencers who may be interested in the content
- Include enticing information from the content to encourage people to click the link to it
- Reply to other people looking for answers with links to your content
5. Use Advertising to Increase Website Traffic
Advertising through paid search, social media and display ads can be an efficient way to increase website traffic. Each option comes with its upsides and downsides — for instance, users can block display ads and the average cost per click for Google Ads on the search network is between $1 and $2 per click — so it’s important to set budgets and goals before investing a ton of money into it.
For instance, when doing pay per click (PPC) ads, it’s critical to start with one campaign and a few different ad groups containing the keywords you want to target most. Once campaigns begin, see how audiences behave with various keywords. Maybe one keyword only resulted in impressions, which didn’t increase website traffic, while another resulted in clicks and conversions.
6. Send Email Newsletters
Promoting content through email newsletters is an effective way to increase website traffic. Here are a few email marketing best practices:
- Include enticing information from the content in the subject line and in the body of the email.
- Insert a link or button that subscribers can click to read more of the content.
- Make sure emails are mobile-friendly. Links should be easy to see, since 46% of all email opens are done on mobile devices.
- Employ personalization tactics by including the name of the subscriber.
- Make the email visually appealing with the use of well-designed templates.