Feeling overwhelmed? We understand the busy marketer. Learn how to become more productive by setting and sticking to your goals with these 10 tips.
I’m probably more passionate about goal setting than the average person. Since I have so much data to gather and analyze on a daily basis, I’ve come to realize that deciding on where to focus is key. As a leader, mentor and manager, I encourage others to be very clear about setting their own goals and developing action plans to achieve them. Because if you establish clear goals from the outset (whether it be personal, professional or marketing related), then you’re on a focused track to achieving them. Are you thinking this is easier said than done? Do you struggle with goal setting? If so, then my top 10 tips are for you!
1. Know what makes a good goal. Goals should meet the criteria of SMART*:
- S – Specific: Make them as clear as possible
- M – Measurable: Develop a benchmark and a target so you know if you’re making progress
- A – Attainable: It’s healthy to stretch, but ensure your goals are within reach so it’s worth the effort
- R – Realistic: Create goals that are challenging enough to avoid underachievement and apathy
- T – Time Bound: Assign deadlines to goals in order to create a sense of urgency, which fosters achievement
2. Do your homework. Look at past data and gather information in order to help you create goals. Without this insight, you can’t build on past successes or failures to know what worked and what didn’t.
3. Identify the rewards and consequences. Closely evaluate what you can gain or lose from not achieving your goal. Once identified, these factors can be powerful motivators. It’s important to be honest with yourself. If you genuinely care about it, you’ll make it happen.
4. List out the obstacles. By clearly identifying what’s holding you back from achieving your goals, you can minimize uncertainty and increase confidence. If roadblocks are identified, you can make plans to overcome them.
5. Brainstorm solutions for the obstacles. If you think through multiple ways to remove obstacles, you’ll be able to select the most effective solution for the situation.
6. Take action. Once you determine the most effective solution, identify the actions you need to take to achieve your goals. Also, establish deadlines for the actions and determine if you can delegate the task to someone else.
7. Get others on board with your goals. Gaining consensus and getting people to understand the why behind your goals is an important step in being able to achieve them. If people can get behind your motivations and your thinking, they will offer you support (which will come in handy when you need to delegate!).